Tarpon Cay’s fishing program is based out of San Felipe Mexico, a small fishing village on the North West point of the Yucatan Peninsula. Although it is less 3 hours by car from Cancun, it feels like you are in the middle of nowhere and all alone. A mecca for baby tarpon, but the area is quiet, not overcrowded and touristy, just a real Mexican village. A beautiful place to get away and fish an amazing fishery with very little pressure or competition.The fishing for baby tarpon out of Tarpon Cay is perhaps the greatest on the Yucatan. With an extensive mangrove coastline, with lagoons, creeks, points, drops and other structure stretching to the West for more than 120 kilometers, the fishing for tarpon in the 5-to-20 pound range can be fantastic. If you’re a seasoned saltwater angler looking to catch large numbers of baby tarpon, or if you’re a first-time tarpon fisherman looking to cut your teeth on smaller “Silver Kings,” then this trip is going to be right up your alley!
Call us to set up your custom trip today! 800-669-3474
Reservations & Rates
2018 Rates are per person (double occupancy)
• 7 nights/6 days package $3,775.00 USD
• 6 nights/5 days package is $3,345.00 USD
• 5 nights/4 days package is $2,890.00 USD
• 4 nights/3 days package is $2,495.00 USD
• 3 nights/2 days package is $1,600.00 USD
2019 Rates are per person (double occupancy)
• 7 nights/6 days package $3,965.00 USD
• 6 nights/5 days package is $3,590.00 USD
• 5 nights/4 days package is $3,215.00 USD
• 4 nights/3 days package is $2,825.00 USD
• 3 nights/2 days package is $2,435.00 USD
Additional options as well as Single Occupancy & Non-Angler rates are available. Please call for more information.
Your angling package at Tarpon Cay Lodge includes the number days fishing specified in your package, accommodations, meet-and-greet service at the airport or hotel, round trip ground transfer between Cancun and San Felipe, all meals, fishing license, and applicable Mexican VAT taxes.
Not included in your Tarpon Cay Lodge package are international flight to Cancun, gratuities for guides and staff, fishing equipment and supplies and additional tours and activities.
The Fly Shop® is not in the insurance business, but we recommend Travel Guard coverage as a service with a desire to see your best interests protected. It is impossible to know when an unfortunate situation (loss of luggage, fly rods, illness in the family, or an accident) may occur. However, such things can and do happen, and this insurance can provide a means of recourse against non-refundable financial losses.
• Travel Guard Insurance
Seasons at Tarpon Cay Lodge
Tarpon Cay operates from early April right through the end of November. This time of year the weather is typically the calmest, and predictable, making for good conditions for fishing for tarpon. The west side of the Yucatan is much more protected that the East Coast, Caribbean facing side. Winds are typically much calmer, especially the early morning and late afternoon hours the guides at Tarpon Cay prefer to fish. The eelgrass flats are in perfect condition this time of year for tarpon nursery to thrive.
The weather is always the key to seeing and getting shots at cruising tarpon. That being said, the best chance for the best weather and best fishing is April through October into November, which is why that is their operating season.
Getting to Tarpon Cay Lodge
Getting in and out of Cancun is simple. You should plan on flying on one of the many U.S. airlines that fly to Cancun direct, out of San Francisco, L.A., Houston, Atlanta and other major U.S. cities. Upon arrival into Cancun, you will clear immigration and customs before heading to the main lobby and reception area of the airport, where you will be met by a Tarpon Cay representative and driver for your transfer, if you are not staying in Cancun. The road trip to San Felipe from Cancun is
approximately 3 hours. This transfer is included in the cost of the package.
Lodging at Tarpon Cay Lodge
Guests fishing with Tarpon Cay stay at the San Felipe Hotel de Jesus, which has been taken over as the Lodge. There is plenty of space in the hotel as the lodge does not like to accept more than 6 anglers at a time. Most anglers choose to share rooms with a fishing partner at the double occupancy rate, but single rooms are available for only $60 more per night, still fishing double occupancy in the boat.
All meals are prepared at the Hotel/Lodge by a professional chef and an excellent menu with many traditional Mexican dishes for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is made to order from the standard options. The Huevos Rancheros are excellent, even at 5am! You will need the energy!
Fishing at Tarpon Cay Lodge
Your day begins before the sun rises with breakfast at the hotel. The guides of Tarpon Cay are hardworking and enthusiastic, and they will work tirelessly to keep you on the fish. They fish double days, starting at zero dark thirty and fishing 6 hours until noonish or 1pm, then back to the lodge for lunch and a siesta and back out on the water by 4pm to take advantage of the lower light until it gets dark again. Dinner at the lodge after dark, a few excellent margaritas, then off to bed and up early to get
after 'em again! They are dedicated, professional and experienced... hardcore! And they know their waters extremely well!
Tarpon Cay offers some of the finest and most consistent fishing for baby tarpon that has been found anywhere in the Caribbean. Almost all of the fishing is sight-fishing from the bow of the panga to rollers, with most tarpon averaging 5 to 15 pounds. Tarpon in the 20 to 30 pound range are considered large, but definitely available. This is perfect 8wt fishing, just rig up 2 rods, floating lines on both, different flies on each, and off you go. Then you have 2 options to throw if they are picky and a backup ready to go in case of catastrophe. Late summer can also provide opportunities for even larger fish in the 60 to 80 pound range. If you are coming this time of year, pack the old 10wt for these bruisers. This is tarpon heaven, but there are not the other flats targets available. No bones or permit, so no need to string up all the other rods for those other species. You will be singularly focused on poons!
The primary fishing area near Tarpon Cay is a huge network of mangrove shoreline, with lagoons, creeks and eel grass flats that begin immediately in front of the lodge and stretch west for as far as you could go. Most fishing is done within 50 kilometers of the lodge to minimize long run times.
What Makes This Destination Special and Unique?
• Fishing in in such a productive fishery allows you multiple presentation opportunities every day. You’ll gain experience rapidly in the techniques and skills of tarpon fishing, quickly improving your tarpon game.
• The waters you fish each day are exclusively guided by Tarpon Cay Lodge. You’ll never arrive at your fishing destination to find other guide boats working the fish. And there’s enough water that the guides can rest areas and let the fish relax. Relaxed and happy fish are eating fish – and that translates into more hook-ups for you.
• With daily direct flights to Cancun from many US cities, you can leave work early on Friday, be in Cancun that evening and fishing tarpon the next morning. Easy travel translates into more time fishing and less time in the air.
• Fishing a split schedule, early morning and evening, has you fishing when the fish are most in the biting mode. Why spend the afternoon out in the blazing sun, looking for tarpon that have retreated to the mangroves for shade. You will be napping in your air-conditioned room, fully rested for a later afternoon and evening of fast and heavy fishing.
• A group of six anglers can enjoy exclusive use of the lodge, a perfect week to share with your best friends and family.