On the western side of the Mexican Yucatan Peninsula at about 19 degrees north latitude, approximately 300 miles South and East of Cancun, you’ll find the old Spanish colonial city of Campeche.
For a very old city, it took fly fishers a long time to discover it. Until very recently, it wasn’t on the map of very many fly fishers. Now, it is one of those destinations on the lips of most anglers looking for baby tarpon and a fun place to hang out after fishing. The fishing is very close to the marina and you can be casting to sighted tarpon cruising the mangrove shorelines within 15 minutes of the dock or you might be cruising further up the coast looking for tarpon tucked back in the shaded mangrove “caves” where casting becomes a little more critical.
Just about any custom trip can be planned combining nights in the hotel of your choice, with as many days you want to fish and as many days you may want to visit Mayan ruins and discover Campeche’s charms.
Call us to set up a custom trip for you if you don’t wish to fish every day: 800-669-3474.
Reservations & Rates
The 7 nights/6 day package at Campeche Tarpon is $3,105.00 USD per person (double occupancy)
• 6 nights/5 day package is $2,645.00 per person
• 5 nights/4 day package is $2,162.00 per person
• 4 nights/3 day package is $1,725.00 per person
• 3 nights/2 day package is $1,380.00 per person
Additional options as well as Single Occupancy are available. Please call for more information.
Your angling package at Campeche Tarpon includes number of days fishing specified in your package, accommodations (at either Castelmar or Plaza Campeche), meet and greet service at the Merida airport, transfers between Merida and Campeche, breakfast and lunch each day in Campeche, fishing license and applicable Mexican VAT taxes.
Not included in your Campeche Tarpon package are International flights to Cancun or Merida, gratuities for guides and staff ($400/boat), dinner each night in Campeche, taxis and sdditional tours and activities. Transfers between Campeche and Cancun are not included, but can be arranged at an additional price ($800/vehicle/round trip).
The Fly Shop® is not in the insurance business, but we recommend Travel Guard coverage as a service with a desire to see your best interests protected. It is impossible to know when an unfortunate situation (loss of luggage, fly rods, illness in the family, or an accident) may occur. However, such things can and do happen, and this insurance can provide a means of recourse against non-refundable financial losses.
• Travel Guard Insurance
Seasons at Campeche Tarpon
Anglers wishing to fish Campeche are lucky in that there are tarpon in the area year around.
The weather is always the key to seeing and getting shots at cruising tarpon. That being said, the best chance for best weather and best fishing is May through October into November. The winter and spring months
can provide great fishing as long as the weather cooperates. It is a great mid winter getaway and if the weather doesn't cooperate on a day or two during your week, there is plenty of other non fishing activities to keep you busy.
Getting to Campeche Tarpon
There are two ways to comfortably get to Campeche.
The first is to fly to Merida, Mexico, where the transfer driver will meet you and drive you the approximately 2 hours to Campeche and your hotel. This is included in your package. Or, you could fly into Cancun and be picked up there for the 5 – 6 hour drive to Campeche. There is an extra
charge of $350/van (8 passenger) each way. This cost is divided among the number of passengers. Or, you can arrive at either city and rent a car and drive yourself saving some money and adding the excitement of driving yourself across the Mexican Yucatan, maybe stopping to see some ruins and seeing more of the country at your leisure.
Lodging at Campeche Tarpon
The Campeche Plaza Hotel is close to the marina where boats are met in the mornings.
The hotel is clean, cool and has a restaurant for early morning breakfasts (included in the package price). The very comfortable, clean, 3 star hotel, is a short taxi ride to the downtown area and economically priced. The
luxurious Hacienda Puerta de Campeche Hotel is an upgrade that will appeal to those wanting to be closer to downtown (walking distance to just about everything in downtown) and wanting that extra service and amenities available only in a hotel such as this. Or you can choose your own hotel and hire daily guide service or have us check it for a package price including r/t transfers from your arrival city.
Fishing at Campeche Tarpon
Your day begins about 6:00 AM with breakfast at the hotel.
You will then be picked up and transferred to the marina to your boat and guide. Lunches and drinks are on the boat and iced down in the cooler. Fishing takes place between 15 and 75 minutes from the dock, depending upon wind, weather, the fish, etc. You cruise clear water looking for
cruising tarpon weighing in between 5 and 15 pounds, with a few over that weight. Casts will vary from very precise, under-the-branches type of casts to open water searching casts. Almost all of the tarpon should be sighted before casting unless there has been a lot of wind and/or rain. The lunch is eaten on the boat and fishing continues to 2:00 – 3:00 PM, when it is back to the hotel in time for a siesta and clean-up to get ready for dinner on the town. The guide or hotel will be happy to recommend a restaurant to your liking.
What Makes This Destination Special and Unique?
• Baby tarpon take flies readily, running and launching into the air like no other gamefish and Campeche Tarpon is loaded with them. This is a perfect destination for anglers that predicate a successful trip on lots of action. This also an excellent tarpon fishery for anglers new to tarpon fishing. You’ll get dozens of shots at each and every day and be able to hone your tarpon fishing skills on smaller fish, before graduating to the large models.
• You’ll fish from custom shallow-draft flats fishing skiffs that provide easy access to miles of shallow saltwater lagoons loaded with juvenile tarpon. These skiffs, piloted by experienced guides, are the key to keeping you in action from start to finish. Lots of fish and savvy guides will accelerate your learning curve and you will leave Campeche Tarpon a more knowledgeable and better saltwater fly fisher.
• Campeche Tarpon is a perfect couple’s trip with fine dining, private accommodations and located in a culturally rich colonial city with fabulous architecture, shopping and sightseeing. Campeche is also close to several Mayan ruin complexes and our outfitter or hotel concierge can assist with organizing tours. This is an ideal destination for non-anglers. While you are out fishing the day away for baby tarpon, your non-angling partner will be happy. Happy wife – Happy Life!
• The Fishing day at Campeche Tarpon starts very early in the morning, at the crack of dawn, which is the ideal time to target happy and hungry tarpon? The early start means an early end of the day when the sun is high, temperatures hot and the tarpon retreat to the mangroves. This schedule will have you back in town early afternoon to explore and enjoy this ancient walled city with your partner.